Scripts may be submitted to the ASC using our online form. Please read the following information before submitting your script:
The ASC accepts professionally written, production-ready performance scripts for stage and radio across a range of styles and genres. We only accept work by Australian writers and encourage playwrights at all stages of their career to submit their plays to us, provided that the work meets the following eligibility criterion:
- You hold publication rights; in other words, the script has not been exclusively licensed to another publisher
AND at least one of the following;
- The script has received a professional production and/or an independent production,
- The script has been through a professional script development workshop,
- The script has received a favourable written assessment by an industry-recognised professional,
- The writer has a letter of support from an industry-recognised professional,
- The script has won or been shortlisted for a major Australian prize, or
- The script is written by an established playwright.
Please note that, while we do not accept musicals (where all or nearly all the text is sung), we do accept plays with music (where most of the text is dialogue, with occasional songs).
It is important to note that eligibility does not guarantee acceptance. Only a relatively small proportion of scripts submitted are accepted into the catalogue and it is completely at the Centre's discretion to reject scripts that are not considered to rate sufficiently highly against the selection criteria.
Eligible scripts are assessed against the following criteria;
- Literary merit, understood to encompass writing ability, style, skilled use of language, appropriateness of form, stagecraft, characterisation, clarity of expression and sustained development of themes or ideas.
- Potential to engage the intended audience
Submitting a script
Scripts may be submitted using our online form, where you will be required to provide the following;
- The full script in MS Word format. Please ensure that it has been CAREFULLY PROOFREAD AND PAGINATED (see sample script format),
- A synopsis (max 250 words)
- Playwright biography (max 250 words)
- Contact information for the playwright and agent (if applicable).
- For plays with music, please include lyrics within the script. Do not include sheet music or audio with your submission.
If your play is accepted you may be asked to provide us with the following support materials:
- Playwright photo (jpg) for inclusion on website
- Production image/s (jpg) for inclusion on website. Please include photo credit and identify performers for all production images
- Any reviews or other support materials available in electronic format
- For plays with music, sheet music (in PDF format), and mp3 audio files (if available)
We aim for a fast turnaround but it’s not always possible. You should allow up to six weeks for your submission to be assessed. You will be advised of the outcome by email.
We do not accept scripts without express permission from copyright holders. Your script must not include material that you do not have permission to use. Confirmation of copyright ownership is requested at the end of the online submission form. If a script has been previously published but is now out of print, we ask you to provide confirmation, in writing, that the rights have reverted to you.
The ASC does not provide a script development or editing service and we cannot accept scripts that do not meet a professional standard. This includes scripts that have not been properly proofread, paginated or checked for other mistakes. Scripts should be clearly formatted and easy to read. If you are unsure of an appropriate format, see our sample script format.
Any questions? Send us an email, or telephone +61 (0)3 6223 4675.
Visit our online form to submit your script